Google URL Shortener Analytic Tracking
You can use Google URL Shortener to track URL clicks of your website. We suggest that you use Google URL Shortener to shorten your URL link before including it in your Bulk SMS messages before sending it to your customers. Google URL Shortener helps you to reduce the number of characters when composing SMS messages.
Google is able to trace, track and record your users' clicks.
Your website tracking details is publicly visible to any users to are able to access it.
How to Shorten Your Long Web URL?
Google URL Shortener reduces your long URL to a manageable and easy to remember short URL that takes up lesser characters. Just several simple steps such as inserting your long web URL, submitting it and then copying the shortened URL link.
- Creating Google Shortened URL
- Tracking Google Shortened URL
- Including Google Shortened URL in Bulk SMS
- Differences of using Google URL Shortener while Signing In/Out
Google Shortened URL Example
You are able to save many characters with a shortened URL.
How to create a shortened URL?
1. Click here to go to Google URL Shortener site.
2. Sign in (at the top right corner) to your gmail account.
3. Copy and paste your web URL in the "Paste your long URL here".
4. Click the "Shorten URL" button. You will see a shortened URL link on the right. Copy and paste into your Bulk SMS content.
How to use Google URL Shortener to track your URL?
You are able to view the number of users who have visited your URL.
1. To view more details about your URL's use, such as countries, browsers as well as platforms that accessed it, you can add ".info" at the end of your shortened URL. For example, http://goo.gl/4gx1Sw is the shortened version of http://isms.com.my/, for more information, go to http://goo.gl/4gx1Sw.info.
2. Here we can view the google analytic of iSMS.com.my. The tracking information of your website will be publicly visible to all users.
How to include Shortened Google URL in your SMS via iSMS SMS Portal?
Note: To generate a short URL with Google URL Shortener, do refer to the steps above. Google URL Shortener reduces the number of characters while you compose your SMS messages.
1. You can click on 'Details' if there are existing links in your Google URL Shortener list. Then, click on the link (refer to below) and press on CTRL + C key on the keyboard to copy the link.
2. You can click on the link (as shown below) and then select the 'Copy Link Address' option.
3. After the address link is copied, login to your iSMS Portal (click Here to learn how to login to your account). After that, navigate to 'Compose SMS'(click Here to learn how to compose SMS messages). When you are done, fill in your details as shown below. Finally. paste your Shortened URL into the message area.
4. Your clients will receive the link included in your SMS message. Whenever they click on the 'Open Link' option, your web page will appear in their web browser.
The number of clicks on your shortened web url will be recorded in Google analytic.
What happens when you create links while signed in vs signed out?
When signed in
- Your links will be automatically added to http://goo.gl/ where you can track their use.
- A unique short URL is created each time a long URL is shortened.
When signed out
- Your links will not show up on your http://goo.gl/ page
- The same short URL is reused/ repeated each time a long URL is shortened by you or someone else.